Rice is one of those ingredients people always have in their pantries. It is a must-ingredient in almost every single meal. Versatility and affordability are the keywords to understand its popularity. This humble grain has been part of people’s diet since 2800 BC. It happened in China, where archaeologists discovered what had been rice fields in the surroundings of the Yangtze River.
From this part of Southeast Asia, rice has traveled all around the globe until becoming one of the most consumed grains. This journey allows rice to be included in varied recipes and absorb diverse flavors and textures. Its blank taste and adaptable consistency made it possible to create savory and sugary dishes; and beverages and alcoholic drinks.
Different Rice Dishes
Rice is a typical staple, and people tend to cook it the same way for every meal. Nevertheless, rice can have a different flavor, texture, or presentation on certain occasions. But in daily meals, rice is the same plain old friend. From this point of view, rice can be both a blessing and a curse. It is not because of the rice taste but of not knowing how to prepare it in more creative ways. There are times when you have tried a delicious rice dish and thought you could do it at home. But, deep thinking about how to replicate those mouthwatering flavors makes you believe you cannot make such a delicious dish.
You get it wrong; most rice dishes are easy to prepare, and you can replicate those delicious flavors at home in a few steps. There are complicated rice preparations with tons of ingredients and intricate cooking techniques. But, in general terms, most rice dishes are easy to prepare, even if they include thousands of components.
Rice repertoire of dishes includes the following:
Rice Side Dishes
- Coconut Rice
- Cilantro lime Rice
- Saffron Rice
- Mexican Rice
- French Onion Rice
- Herbs rice
- Stuffed Peppers
- Stuffed Eggplants
- Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice
- Stuffed Onions
- Rice Pudding
- Rice Cake
- Rice Muffins
- Rice Cookies
- Rice Pie
Rice Complete Meals
- Fried Rice
- Rice Curry
- One Pot Rice
- Rice Soup
- Rice Bowls
- Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad
- Tomato Fried Rice Salad
- Wild Rice with Root Vegetable Salad
- Black and White Rice Salad
- Tuna Rice Salad
- Vegan Rice Salad
- Rice Wine
- Rice Milk
- Rice water
The above-mentioned recipes are just a simple selection of all rice dishes you can prepare at home. It may seem too much, but it is too little. Take your first try with simple preparations. As soon as you gain enough confidence, start cooking more elaborate rice preparations.
Quick Rice Salads
Salads are mixtures of various ingredients, mostly vegetables, seasoned with special dressings. They work as a side dish for lunches or a complete meal for a light dinner. You can also eat salads as entrée, sandwich fillings, or desserts. Ingredients include lettuce, vegetables, rice, beans, pasta, fruits, or proteins like meat or seafood. They are served cold, but there are hot versions. Salads are a great option to start making different rice dishes. They are easy to make and do not need too many components to be satisfying yet delicious. You may use leftover rice meaning they are even quicker to make.
Rice’s mild flavor is a proper choice for salads. It absorbs dressing, and the texture complements other ingredients. They are versatile since you can add your favorite ingredients or the ones in your fridge. There are dozens of rice salad recipes you can choose to prepare. Simple recipes are evocating international flavors like this riceselect.com/recipe/bangkok-rice-shrimp-salad
All rice salad recipes work as an inspiration. You can take the basis of these dishes and make your versions of rice salads adapted to your taste or the occasion you will serve them.
Tips For Making Delicious Rice Salads
The secret behind any rice dish is using the proper type of rice and matching ingredients. To make a superb rice salad, follow these tips:
- Use fresh vegetables, especially if lettuce is included
- Incorporate crunchy texture with nuts and seed
- Use cold rice, preferably one-day-old rice
- Long-grain rice is the best for salads
- Add dressing minutes before serving
- All dressings must have oil and vinegar or lemon
Check the following recipes, try them at home, and then feel free to create your rice salad versions.
Italian Rice Salad
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup of long-grain rice
- 2 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Italian Seasoning made with dried herbs mix of basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, sage, and red pepper flakes
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ lemon juice
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 8 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 diced orange pepper
- ½ diced cucumber
- 1 diced red onion
- ¾ cup of halves cherry tomatoes
- ¾ cup of sweetcorn
- ½ cup of black olives
- 4 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, pour water, rice, and salt. Cook until boiling.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender. Let it cool. You can use leftover rice or make it in advance. Rice must be cold when preparing the salad.
- Make the Italian dressing. Add the olive oil, dried herbs, and minced garlic to a bowl.
- Combine very well and set aside.
- In a big bowl, incorporate cold rice, sun-dried tomatoes, orange pepper, cucumber, red onion, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, and black olives.
- Stir all ingredients.
- Before serving, add pine nuts, fresh basil, fresh parsley, and the dressing. Stir very, make sure dressing coat all salad.
Brown Rice Salad
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 3 cups of cooked and cold brown rice
- 4 sliced spring onions
- 1 finely chopped red capsicum
- 1/4 cup of currant
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- In a big bowl, mix rice, spring onions, red capsicum, currants, and sunflower seeds.
- Make the dressing by combining sunflower oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, and garlic. Mix very well.
- Add the dressing to the salad. Make sure the dressing covers every ingredient.
- Serve immediately.
Featured Image Credit: Freepik
This Post Has 10 Comments
I didn’t know about using rice in salads this looks super fun and addicting
Thank you for sharing ghia
I am a rice eater and love it a lot. with my diet I’ve moved to brown rice and enjoying it too. but I’ve never ever heard of rice salad before. need to try.
I am totally stunned after reading about the rise salads and rise drinks. These are very new for me and seems really delicious. I would definitely give it a try and thanks for the recipe. Keep sharing
rice salad is completely a new term to me. but the recipe looks fi be an interesting and à tasty one. will definitely check this out sooner
These options sounds interesting. Can someone eat this when on low calorie diet? I love rice dishes.. Sushi and pot rice are two of my most favourite
There’s something about a good rice dish that just hits the spot. Whether it’s a simple bowl of steamed rice or a more complex dish like risotto, rice is always a welcome addition to any meal. And these three rice preparations are no exception.
I love salads and always love to experiment with quirky dishes. So your this post is definitely in my bookmark list. Also will be checking your other blog posts. Love your blogs.
I never thought we can make salad from rice. Thanks for sharing these tasty rice salad recipies, I am definetly going to try them all, as rice is staple food in my everyday diet
Though I am a fan of rice and salads separately, I have never tried them in one dish. I find that the purpose of having a salad is defeated. Anyway, this looks like a refreshing sight.
I love this dish. This is my favorite one. Rice is such a simple and healthy food anyone can have. also adding vegetables make it even more healthier. thanks for the recipe.